Tuesday 2 September 2014

Monthly theme post: makeup



Being such a makeup junkie, this month's makeup theme post should have been all to easy for me, and I had a lot of ideas swimming about in my head when I was thinking about what to write. Alas, time got away from me these past couple of weeks, and having a baby has meant I have barely had any time to even apply makeup let alone blog about it!

So these days when I actually have a minute to put on makeup, I have to try and be as quick and efficient as possible. The way having a baby has changed my skincare and makeup rourine made me think about how else it has changed over the years, and how age, lifestyle and fashion tastes evolve over time and affect the way we present ourselves. It's hard to pinpoint just when my interest in makeup and other "girly" things first started, but I remember having "toy" lipsticks in ridiculous pinks and purples to put on, and kid-friendly nail varnishes that peel off when you wash your hands as a child.

But I think when I truly discovered the power of makeup was my 12th birthday when I had first started to gravitate towards darker music, clothing and fiction. My auntie went out and bought me a number of actual 'grownup' products, and taught me how to use them properly as a sort of starter kit. It was all pretty decent stuff,  and I managed to create some good (and some not so good...) looks with a post-box-red lipstick and a dark rasin lipstick,  a deep grey glitter shadow, a plum purple shadow and some killer liquid eyeliner.  But that was just for weekends.  I started using pencil liner on the bottom only for my every day look, I layered it very thickly and it definitely did NOT flatter.

I wish I had pictures to share my shame but my laptop is having technical difficulties at the moment. It wasn't until I was about 14 that a friend who had learned how to paint a decent flick and cat eye from her sister shared her secrets with me, and the discovery that cotton buds could correct any mistake is the most valuable I think I have ever made. To this day a thick upper line of eyeliner with a big flick and pencil liner along the bottom is still my signature look when I'm feeling lazy. I used to wear this makeup to school every day because it was just heavy enough for my tastes yet tiptoed the dress code boundaries. I have also branched out since then, with the discovery of false eyelashes (which have saved me HOURS of time obsessing over perfect mascara) and a return to eyeshadows.

When I was 18 I finally decided to give foundation a try and haven't looked back. It does wonders for my confidence about my freckles, and even when I'm pressed for time a smattering of foundation makes me look put together even if I don't feel like it. During pregnancy however my dry skin has been ten times worse than its ever been, so I've moved onto BB creams which still have a nice amount of coverage and are quite moisturising.  I use the BB cream as a starting point, and anything else I have time for now is a bonus!

Before I went on maternity leave and I was still working evenings in the pub I used to wear tons of eye makeup, I experimented frequently because working evenings meant I had ample time during the day.

Hopefully as things with baby Reegan settle down a bit and I become used to motherhood and all it's challenges I can get closer to my old makeup routine and become more adventurous again.

How has your makeup style evolved over time? Do you have a signature look for everyday?

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my little one was first born, I ditched the makeup for a few months and only wore it on special occassions but my son had some slight health problems at first. That being said, you might go back to your old signature look like me when the baby is older. I love BB cream. i use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's awesome that you had a role model to show you the ropes with makeup! My mom has always been a total tom boy, and my aunties lived far away, so I was on my own as a young lady. It took me until well after college to get the hang of wearing makeup and dressing feminine!

    I can only imagine the crazy lifestyle changes you are adapting to with the new baby. I'm sure you will have more time for yourself eventually. I think it's important to take a little time to pamper yourself when you can - motherhood comes first, but don't you still need to be YOU. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. first monts i used to wear any make up (just eyebrows) because i don't have, and i sweat all the time, i use to do exercises when my baby is sleeping... so 20-30 minutes at day and then come back to motherhood... and no time for make up... i love adora's bat brat make up and her sister... but... i just can't wear that in my neighbourhood i feel stupid, so more or less i try to see in weekends Murderotic make up, and girls like that... they are my inspiration's

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sylvie its reassuring to know I might eventually get back to my old self again! Especially if you managed to with a poorly little one theres no reason I cant too lol. I love BB cream since I found a shade pale enough anyway. I think even with a makeup mentor it still took me a while to get the hang of it! I wish I could be more outrageous sometimes too, Adora's style is killer and I wish I had the time even before I had the baby lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to look at old pictures to see how I did my makeup, it is fun to laugh at your mistakes when you were younger! As silly as I looked sometimes (and probably still do every now and then) I am glad that I experimented and tried to have my own style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Freckles are adorable! Only one my sons has freckles in the summer and I make such a big deal about them. I think they are so cute.
    Trust me, I know what you mean about getting into a routine with a new baby. I have a 2 month old and I just now got around to dyeing my hair this past weekend. I do make it a point to put on some makeup at least every other day even if it is to just hide the circles under my eyes lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting you have a teacher of makeup!
    I won my first makeup kit when I was 11, but it was a kit child. So, stole my mother's brown lipstick to complement the makeup.
    In adolescence, so wore little makeup, which when used was borrowed from a friend, and only at night. Only when I became an adult and started having acne is late I got interested in the subject.
    Today I am trying to make up for lost time, but still little use. I think I need to study more hehehe
    Sorry if my English is not good.

    ReplyDelete